Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Bush is Toast


This will not be deep, nor will it even be too insightful, it might even be venomous, but I can no longer shelve the need to put my feelings about the Gulf Coast tragedy into words. Even though I am geographically far removed, some of my dearest, closest friends live in that region. Some have suffered the ravages of the storm; some have borne the burden of housing and providing for the refugees. This is an American human tragedy, the response to which, defies comprehension. The sheer magnitude of natural force that created this, the tragic wreckage the storm left in its wake and the human devastation both physical and psychological is almost more that I can even fathom. But, as if that wasn’t enough, the keystone cop-ish federal response is absolutely gut wrenching. Having read many rants, essays and transcripts over the last week, I do feel a little better about coming out of the closet – as it were – about my anger toward Bush. I feel like by posting this I’m furthering the “Emperor Has No Clothes” scenario, but I’m jumping on the bandwagon anyway.

In my growing distrust of the Im-POTUS, as I’ve come to call Bush Jr., I admit that I’ve wished for someone or something to come along with the right combination of words or ideas that would show him up (and shut him up). I imagined some giant Godzilla-like monster would arise from the depths of the sea and personally show George Bush what it’s like to be ‘overthrown.’ In my imagination, the monster was green and scaly; I never honestly thought it would be a very real hurricane.

Yes, I’m a liberal – some call me an old hippie. I was born during the Eisenhower administration, formed some important views during the Kennedy years, scratched my head, and kept my mouth shut during my parent’s Nixon halcyon days, voted for Carter since it would most piss off my parents, and then in an abrupt about face, voted Reagan twice. I sat out the next few years, and then was charmed by Clinton, again twice. I’ve wondered in the last few days, if a natural disaster of this magnitude had struck during the Clinton years, if we might not have seen him and Hilary in amongst the people, handing out water, toilet paper, and hugs. Not even in a second rate monster movie would you find the Bushes stooping to that.

Why? Why didn’t the leader of our country cut his vacation short once news of the impending disaster overtook the airwaves?

Why? Why didn’t he mobilize the undeployed National Guard units still in the contiguous United States?

Why? Why did it take him 5 days to do a cursory flyby to declare this a national disaster?

Bill Clinton may have had a mistress, but George Bush was screwed by Katrina, and damned if I don’t think he should have to be grilled just as hard as Clinton was.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't responded because I'm republican. And I'm still TRYING to stand behind my president. Ok, ok, it's tough. Sos getting old and fat. But we all gotta do it.
ks

PS. cute toasted picture

Word verification of the day: fpteeve

Anonymous said...

I AM RESPONDING TO THIS. ALL LIBERALS HATE BUSH AND THEY BLAME HIM FOR EVERYTHING THAT GOES WRONG. NO ONE EVEN KNOWS WHO TO BLAME BUT HE IS JUST ONE MAN. HE DIDN'T WANT FEMA WITH THE HOMELAND SECURITY. CONGRESS DID. YOU WERE WONDERING WHAT CLINTON WOULD HAVE DONE DURING A NATIONAL DISASTER? LOOK BACK AT THE 1995 CHICAGO HEATWAVE WHERE 1000+ DIED. READ WHERE THE HOSPITALS WERE OVERWHELMED; CHILDREN PASSING OUT ON BUSES; PEOPLE NEEDING ASSISTANCE; ETC. FOR OVER A WEEK. WHAT DID CLINTON DO? I DON'T KNOW.