Saturday, January 26, 2008

Tinkering With The Knitty Gritty

It would have never occurred to me to take on the nitty gritty plumbing or electrical portion of house renovations Downtown Dad and I have undertaken in years past. There are just too many hidden things, too many technical secrets best left to the professional wizards who have gone to school to learn how to do these things. I stick with the hauling out, and the sweeping up - these are things I understand. It's like a car - I know that you put the key in the hole, turn it and if there is sufficient gas, the thing will start. Occasionally, you have to put other liquids in it, and there are things like tire pressure and spark plugs that can be monitored and maintained by a mechanic - thus insuring that when I turn the key, the car will start.

Did I keep any of this in mind the past couple of days when I started monkeying with the plumbing and electrical workings of my blog? No. I flung open the hood and started twisting, and poking and discarding and trying to cram square pegs I wished were round, into holes I didn't want to be round but were.

Thank you to everyone who visited and commented. I really like the look, and I'm getting used to the layout. The picture makes a little more sense of the name of the blog and now I've got spaces and the ability to put in the things I want to. It will probably change again, but at least things are going in the general right direction.

I also have found something non-blog related that I'm aching to try! And a way to tie in the first paragraph to this one... It's Felting knitted projects. I probably just climbed out of a hole from the stone age, but I just learned about this and I'm really excited to try it! I remember my mother used to knit my dad's socks. He had some kind of foot sensitivity and needed pure wool socks so she knit them for him. She pretty much was knitting all the time, and taught me to knit too - although I was too 'cool' to do anything like that at the time. I remember doing the laundry once, when she broke her foot and I used hot water for everything. What I ended up with were several pairs of 'elf shoes' which I thought made great slippers - that feeling was not shared by my parents. I'm going to try a bowl, for my first project. I'll keep you posted with pictures, patterns and progress!

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

I forgot to leave you a message and let you know my meme is up.

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

I have never heard of felted knitting! *goes off to Google*

Blog looking good by the way! I have never even managed to put a photograph on the top!

Robinella said...

As long as these changes do not interfere with your PRIMO writing, I don't care what the site looks like. :-)

This is nice though! I'll forward to the felt knitting thing as I have no idea what you are talking about.

Stacey said...

I look forward to hearing how you get on with the felted knitting as its something I would like to try as well.
I knitted some socks for my husband and they were a bit big so I thought I'd wash them in hot water to shrink them down a bit. Don't know what I did but they are now enormous and are used as a nice warm winter lining for the cat's bed.
I'm always shrinking things unintentionally, but the one time I want to do it, I fail spectacularly.
Good luck with the felting!

Suburban Correspondent said...

That's funny - I just decided to try to knit some felted mittens. I need to find something that will keep my hands warm....

Thanks for stopping by my blog....